exlibros

The Moth Eaten Shelf

Butterfly in the sky, I can go twice as high! ...But you don't have to take my, or Lamar Burton's, word for it. Just take a look, it's in a book.

The Backstory of Wallpaper: Paper-Hangings 1650-1750
Robert M. Kelly
Progress: 5/183 pages
Death of a Gossip
M.C. Beaton
Korean for Beginners: Mastering Conversational Korean (CD-ROM Included)
Henry J. Amen IV, Kyubyong Park
Visualize This: The Flowing Data Guide to Design, Visualization, and Statistics
Nathan Yau
Discovering Statistics Using R
Zoe Field, Andy Field, Jeremy Miles
Pushkin House (American Literature (Dalkey Archive))
Andrei Bitov, Susan Brownsberger
Beginner's Korean
Jeyseon Lee
La Nouvelle Héloïse: Julie, or the New Eloise
Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Judith H. McDowell
Edith Wharton
Hermione Lee
Linear Models with R (Chapman & Hall/CRC Texts in Statistical Science)
Julian James Faraway

Letters of a Portuguese Nun: Uncovering the Mystery Behind a 17th Century Forbidden Love - Myriam Cyr I initially picked up the book thinking it would have an introduction covering the background and history of the period surrounding the letters, with the majority of the text being the actually letters. Much to my surprise, it was quite the reverse. The history of the period and mystery surrounding the letters was nicely explained to the level of those who are not a fan of reading about history (or herstory). The letters did take me back to times when I have felt used and rejected by those I thought had more than a passing fancy. I don't agree with one of the reviews that Mariana should have "just gotten over it" as it applies contemporary ideas of love and sex on the past. The reviewer seems to have forgotten that Mariana spent the majority of her life in a convent with little access to the outside world and was subject to different rules governing propriety.

I would recommend this to people who want a light reading on the Portuguese Letters.