exlibros

The Moth Eaten Shelf

Butterfly in the sky, I can go twice as high! ...But you don't have to take my, or Lamar Burton's, word for it. Just take a look, it's in a book.

The Backstory of Wallpaper: Paper-Hangings 1650-1750
Robert M. Kelly
Progress: 5/183 pages
Death of a Gossip
M.C. Beaton
Korean for Beginners: Mastering Conversational Korean (CD-ROM Included)
Henry J. Amen IV, Kyubyong Park
Visualize This: The Flowing Data Guide to Design, Visualization, and Statistics
Nathan Yau
Discovering Statistics Using R
Zoe Field, Andy Field, Jeremy Miles
Pushkin House (American Literature (Dalkey Archive))
Andrei Bitov, Susan Brownsberger
Beginner's Korean
Jeyseon Lee
La Nouvelle Héloïse: Julie, or the New Eloise
Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Judith H. McDowell
Edith Wharton
Hermione Lee
Linear Models with R (Chapman & Hall/CRC Texts in Statistical Science)
Julian James Faraway

Fever: A Novel

Fever - Mary Beth Keane

Thank goodness I did not waste good money on this book by buying it!

Only 20 pages in and I am ready to abandon this book. I have read textbooks that are more interesting and written better. Here are two examples of the bad writing/editing (hardback edition):

1. page 9 "When babies were born everyone willed them to live, but there was no surprise when they died, eventually, almost all of them, including the two Mary had cared for herself, bringing them eight, nine, ten times a day to the teat of a neighbor's goat so they could suckle what Mary's sister couldn't offer, having died bringing them to life, and what Mary couldn't offer, being only fourteen at the time, and having no babies of her own."

(Let's make it better (or at least no worse)! "When babies were born everyone willed them to live but there was no surprise when they died. Even the two Mary had cared for herself after her sister's laborious death bringing the babes into the world, trekking them eight, nine, ten times a day to the teat of a neighbor's goat so they could suckle what Mary's sister could no longer offer. What more could a poor Irish girl of fourteen without children of her own due or a wet nurse nearby do?" ...And as my country cousins like to say, 'If they are old enough to bleed, they're old enough to breed!')

2. page 18 "Mary felt like her mind had dropped straight out of her head like a stone."

I don't have a fancy pants arts degree but even part-time voracious readers can spot bad story telling from a distance!