exlibros

The Moth Eaten Shelf

Butterfly in the sky, I can go twice as high! ...But you don't have to take my, or Lamar Burton's, word for it. Just take a look, it's in a book.

The Backstory of Wallpaper: Paper-Hangings 1650-1750
Robert M. Kelly
Progress: 5/183 pages
Death of a Gossip
M.C. Beaton
Korean for Beginners: Mastering Conversational Korean (CD-ROM Included)
Henry J. Amen IV, Kyubyong Park
Visualize This: The Flowing Data Guide to Design, Visualization, and Statistics
Nathan Yau
Discovering Statistics Using R
Zoe Field, Andy Field, Jeremy Miles
Pushkin House (American Literature (Dalkey Archive))
Andrei Bitov, Susan Brownsberger
Beginner's Korean
Jeyseon Lee
La Nouvelle Héloïse: Julie, or the New Eloise
Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Judith H. McDowell
Edith Wharton
Hermione Lee
Linear Models with R (Chapman & Hall/CRC Texts in Statistical Science)
Julian James Faraway

The birth order factor: How your personality is influenced by your place in the family

The Birth Order Factor: How Your Personality is Influenced by Your Place in the Family - Lucille K. Forer First off, I did not read this book cover-to-cover but rather jumped around to the sections that seemed pertinent to myself and which I could relate back to my family. Some of the birth order factors make sense and has helped me to understand some family dynamics but as the book regularly points out, people's personalities (and hang-ups) are not just explained by birth order. There is the family environment of emotional, economic, etc support, as well as the spacing between children that play a role in personal development, of which no one can ever fit these factors/outlines exactly.

It's publication in 1976 makes for an interesting read about the social mores and norms of the time, especially as I am product of the next decade. The way Dr. Forer relates some of her therapy cases makes me wish that if I ever do need extensive therapy, I would like a therapist as clear-sighted and understanding as her. Not being a parent yet, I cannot comment on the effectiveness of the 'Parenthood' chapters but they do make me wonder about the development of those families I know with children.